Daniel Lupica plays 20 Questions
The vinyl aficionado talks records, time travel and Sydney's best burger.
This Saturday night, long standing Sydney selector Daniel Lupica is set to play back-to-back with Planet Trip Records' main man, Mike Who. Individually they have potentially the most diverse and obscure record collections of any DJ we can think of. Set them both loose behind the decks and you have a night of top-notch music you won't soon forget.
With the party fast approaching, we shot 20 rapid fire questions over to Mr Lupica to get a glimpse into his cultural milieu. As we discover, his affection for leftfield boogie bombs runs just as deep as his love of friends, family and delicious food.
1. Can you recall the moment when you fell in love with music?
Not the exact moment and I can’t remember evert not loving music, but by the time I was 15-16 (in the late 90’s), I was they guy burning CDs and bringing them to friends parties to play in the background – long before I knew what DJing was.
2. The best thing about DJing is?
Sharing music with people that you know they’ve never heard before.
3. The last book you read?
Haven’t done this in years embarrassingly!
4. Best album of 2023 so far?
Lapa Dua – 'Agua’ on Early Sounds Recordings stands out for sure.
5. Favourite film of the last 6 months?
6. A track you haven’t been able to stop listening to lately?
Salto Palante by La Jungla. An infectious Latin jam with a big bassline that also works pitched up on a dance floor.
7. Your favourite track or album to soundtrack a lazy Sunday afternoon?
Space Ghost – Dance Planet; great LP of downtempo and deep house.
8. Describe your DJ sound in three words.
Obscure but accessible.
9. What is one of your favourite Planet Trip releases and why?
Caravan – 'Sicilian EP’ - mainly for the track ‘Lupica 3000’ that Caravan named after me!
10. Who was the last DJ you danced to and where was it?
Mike Who B2B with Myles Mac, at 77 of course!
11. If I could go back in time I would…?
I would be buying up records in some of the sought-after genres that I look for today. Get some of those impossible grails before they become impossible grails.
12. The last time you had an uncontrollable laughing fit?
Almost daily with my 2-year-old son, he’s hilarious!
13. A track that never fails to win over the dance floor?
This one has been a recent crowd pleaser: Super Mix – 'Make Up Your Mind'.
14. Sydney needs more of…? And less of?
More open minded people when it comes to music, so we can keep up with Melbourne. Less traffic!
15. Who is someone that continues to inspire you and why?
My boy, Mike Who. He Somehow manages to juggle family life, running a label and events. Plus keeping the output at max quality. Respect!
16. The last non-music podcast you were addicted to?
‘The Retrievals’ was a crazy one.
17. The TV show you’re obsessed with?
18. What would you like to have accomplished in the next five years?
For the record collection to reach 5 digits.
19. What makes me happiest is…?
Playing ping pong is up there, as well as cooking and eating good food with family and friends.
20. The best place in Sydney for a delicious, cheap and cheerful meal?
I have a long list in my head of all my favourite Banh Mi spots all over Sydney, but to narrow it down to one - Top Ryde Baker’s House! Also, the burger from Bush restaurant in Redfern. It's only served on Sundays these days I think!
Daniel plays back-to-back all night long with Planet Trip Records founder and 77 resident Mike Who this Saturday 12 August. More details here.