Sampology plays 20 Questions
The celebrated Meanjin/Brisbane DJ and producer shares his favourite music, films, and most recent vinyl digging adventures.
Australia's answer to Gilles Peterson (yep, we said it), Sam Poggioli aka Sampology, returns to our beloved little club Friday 16th June. The Worldwide FM host, obsessive record digger and deft turntablist never fails to impress us with his skills and extensive musical knowledge.
Fresh off the back of his latest release, Galaxy EP - a kaleidoscopic 7-track collab of warm electronic jazz with Brisbane drummer Charlie Hill - the Middle Name Records boss answers our 20 rapid fire questions, giving us a small glimpse into his cultural milieu.
1. Can you recall the moment when you fell in love with music?
There are too many memories, but one which comes to mind was in high school
downloading loads of UK radio mixes. One was Felix Da Housecat’s Breezblock mix which he
opened with Metro Area ‘Caught Up’. It totally flipped me out and it took me six months to
find out what tune it was.
2. The best thing about DJing is?
3. The last book you read?
I recently read the Chris Blackwell autobiography - founder of Island Records. I loved it!
I particularly loved the stories around Compass Point studio in the Bahamas where Grace
Jones, Sly and Robbie, Tom Tom Club Rolling Stones and B-52s recorded.
4. Best album of 2023 so far?
Close Counters – Soulacoasta II
5. Favourite film of the last 6 months?
6. A track you haven’t been able to stop listening to lately?
Karizma - When We Get By K2 Redit
7. A favourite track or album to soundtrack a lazy Sunday afternoon?
Marvin Gaye – Where Are We Going
8. How would you describe your experience of working with Charlie Hill on Galaxy in
Making a new friend to build a sonic environment.
9. Tell us about a record you recently discovered on a digging adventure that really
Usually my favourite digging experiences revolve around travels, but the best recent
experience was in Brisbane at Waiting Room Records pop up at a laneway party.
Being handed records by Jordy who runs the store and reading their own written reviews on
each record cover was a really great experience. I picked up a handful of selects, a few
which I’ll be packing in my bag for 77 this Friday.
10. What was the last live gig you went to?
Thudercat at Tivoli, Brisbane, this month.
11. If I could go back in time I would…?
Buy that jazz record collection I had a chance to pick up cheap 10 years ago.
12. The last time you had an uncontrollable laughing fit?
When my friend Megan showed me the ‘Jesy Nelson Trying to Do a Jamaican Accent’
13. A track that never fails to win over the dance floor?
Candido - Jingo
14. Brisbane needs more of…? And less of?
More crews doing community radio shows. Less Casinos.
15. Who is someone that continues to inspire you and why?
David Versace here in Brizzy because he lives to make and share music and art.
16. The last non-music podcast you were addicted to?
Conan O’Brien Needs A Friend.
17. The TV show you’re obsessed with?
‘I Think You Should Leave’.
18. The best place to go for a nature walk in or around Brisbane?
If you’ve got time to drive – Springbrook. If you haven’t – Mermaid Mountain, Upper Brookfield.
19. What makes me happiest is…?
Sunday morning farmers markets.
20. The best place in Brisbane for a cheap and cheerful, delicious meal?
Sunday morning curry puff stall at Mt Gravatt Farmers Markets.
Sampology plays Club 77 alongside Love High this Friday 16 June. More event details can be found HERE.